Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What's Eating Springs1?

If you're familiar with the ranting anonymous coward that is Springs1, boy are you in luck. This will be an ongoing project until we can finally get to the bottom of her plethora of issues. I first stumbled upon her Rainman styled mini essays almost three years ago. At first, I thought that maybe she was just really passionate about her feelings. Maybe her city really is home to the biggest concentration of the worst servers in the world. Then I noticed a pattern.

1. Make long rant about specific situations that servers have made, in her mind, unforgivable errors.
2. Make sure at LEAST 20% of her total posting is written in capital letters.
3. Rebut anyone who disagrees. Make sure to insult all who dare respond to her with low blows, all the while denying that she's fat, unhappy, crazy, mentally challenged or sexually frustrated.
4. While rebutting, goes off on side tangents which have nothing to do with said response.
5. If she's rebutting a response on one of her own blogs, she either deletes the original comment or picks which parts of the response she seems fit to have an answer.
6. Rinse and repeat.

Anyone will be able to see that Springs1 doesn't really care about her lack of quality food service. Oh, she may think that is the root of all her significant troubles and emphatically deny that she's really giving a desperate cry for help, but that simply isn't the case. Springs1 doesn't have any real control over her life. I dare you to read one, just one rant in its entirety to see what I'm talking about. It's not the detailed synopsizes of her dining experiences or her strange way of slanting all situations, ethically or unethically, to have to fall into her self constructed world of justice. It's not the fact that she will go to any forum, blog or website to say the same thing over again, making sure that she reiterates all of her points in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS. All of these things combined paints a portrait of a frustrated, angry woman who is using the only outlet that she has available. Whether the details are made up or not, she definitely would not have the time to devote to demeaning anyone else, namely an entire profession if she were fulfilled. Springs1 is completely and utterly miserable in her life because she is a self defined failure.

Now, before Springs1 makes her appearance (which I'm sure she will very, very soon) let me explain this deduction. Just using an example, I'd never want to be a garbage man. While they have a stinky job that doesn't have any education requirements, (at least for entry level positions) I would never put them down. Why? Well, because I have other options. On the other hand, someone has to do it and I completely respect all of the garbage men in the world for providing an invaluable service. Without them, the streets would be overflowing in trash. Now, I have taken out my trash before, in fact, I can tie the garbage bag shut with my eyes closed. Does that make me an expert? Of course not. Have I had garbage men that don't care about their jobs, flinging loose debris all around the neighborhood. Yup, I sure have. I shrugged it off to an off day, a bad hangover or someone who knows they're getting the boot soon anyways. And after they've done it a couple of times, I know exactly where I need to voice my complaint. Functional people have the wherewithal to know that just because something looks simple, that doesn't mean that it is. Besides, what kind of jerk would it make me to snicker, jeer and point my nose down on an entire industry?

Springs1 has used her severely limited knowledge of the service industry and taken it upon herself to tell servers what their jobs are. She really thinks that she has deconstructed their job to the point of trying to make their entire professional painfully easy. Even when she acknowledges that, gasp, the servers who are just so dumb, lazy and uneducated actually are busy, there's still no excuse as to why they can't perform perfectly. In fact, she thinks that 'the majority of servers suck'. Interesting. She admits that she pretty much only goes to franchise, chain styled restaurants in her particular area, yet she knows that most servers suck. If that isn't elevating one's status to an inflated level, then I don't know what is.

In the year 2010, everyone knows that writing in all caps is considered yelling, comes across as rude and generally gives the impression that the writer is either uneducated or just plain belligerent. Although most people's eyes glaze over when they see long diatribes punctuated with capital letter, she really thinks she's getting her point across. Her only weapon is the mighty word, and Springs1 likes to wield her sword while it's lit on fire. So, why does Springs1 continuously do it then? Simply because she can. See, when you have limited options in life, you either do two things; you act properly to provide yourself new opportunities or you abuse the ones that you have. It's actually part of her whole act. Everyone has access to the internet to say whatever they feel anonymously, therefore she feels she is not only entitled to her opinion, she is also entitled to whatever she marks as her territory. For her, an insult only matters if it is hurled her way. The same goes with her dining experiences. For her, it's all about power, something she has very little of in real life.

So in short, I think that Springs1 has some sort of underlying anger and resentment issue, probably because she is not of a higher social class, financial bracket or educational level. I think that she picks on servers because it's easy. After all, she's an expert coffee pourer and donut slinger. How hard could it be to wait tables? Maybe she really did have awful service one night, saw her server counting up a major bankroll at the end of the night and became furious.

While I have had the satisfaction of making my first posting almost as long as Springs1's rants, I'm not going to make a habit out of it. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment